5 Digital Detox Benefits Business Owners Should Know About
Posted by Kindness for Success Team on
Image Source: Pexels
Great beneficial information we absolutely love provided by the amazing Cherie Mclaughlin of Couch Based Biz with full permission to use.
Whether it be at home or work, digital technology has made our lives easier in all aspects. But, as the saying goes, too much of a good thing can be bad. This is particularly true for business owners who often find themselves glued to their phones or laptop both in and out of the office. Over time, this can lead to technology overload and negatively impact your physical and mental well-being. In this article, we’ll explore the warning signs of technology overload and the benefits of overcoming it with a digital detox.
Signs of Technology Overload
As reported by SCL Health, using electronics before bed can delay sleep as exposure to blue light makes us feel awake. This can lead to a significant reduction in daily sleep and a feeling sluggish throughout the day. Additionally, prolonged exposure to this light can lead to headaches, eye twitches, and in some cases, black spots in vision, which can become worse over time if screen use is not reduced. A secondary problem of our dependence on technology is living a sedentary lifestyle which can lead to weight gain, cardiovascular diseases, and a decrease in bone density.
Benefits of Digital Detox
Spending time away from technology can seem impossible at first. Not only is it possible, but it’ll provide major health benefits for the short and long term, such as:
● Increased Productivity: Spending ample time away from screens and work will help your mind to reset and disassociate from stressors and result in increased performance during work hours.
● Better Physical Health: Substituting screen time with exercise leads to better cardiovascular health and ease of maintaining a healthy weight. Additionally, exercise will increase the production of feel-good hormones in the body, resulting in happier moods, as reported by Mayo Clinic. Even a daily walk around your neighborhood can substantially improve your physical health.
● Good Sleep: The combination of less screen time and exercise will make it easier to maintain a set sleeping schedule, allowing you at least seven hours of rest each night.
● Stronger Social Connections: Substituting an electronic screen for friends and family will help to create stronger bonds. Choose to meet outside the home at a new restaurant or the neighborhood garden or plan an outdoor excursion.
● Experience Work-Life Balance: Choosing not to use electronics after work will provide you ample time to explore hobbies, socialize, play sports, and engage in other activities that provide a sense of fulfillment. The result? A healthy work-life balance helps you be at your best while at work or with family.
How to Achieve Digital Detox
Reducing technology use does not need to come at the cost of business performance. Here are a few great ways to integrate digital detox into your schedule:
● Manage Documents Digitally: Digitize all your documents as PDFs and save them centrally on cloud storage. This will help to access documents anytime, anywhere.
● Schedule a Technology-Free Day: Dedicate one day a week to being technology free. This means no checking emails, using messaging apps, or carrying your phone everywhere you go. Rather spend the day in nature, meeting friends, cooking healthy meals, or practicing hobbies.
In today’s technology-driven age, having a digital detox schedule is the need of the hour for all business owners. In addition to following a technology-free day each week, start delegating responsibilities to professionals to take stress off your shoulders and reduce daily screen time.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How Often Should I Practice Digital Detox?
Individuals feeling exhausted from technology should plan a detox of at least 3–6 days. This will be ample time to rest and plan a healthier schedule where the use of technology is balanced with other activities.
- Will Digital Detox Help Me Sleep Better?
Yes, reducing screen use, especially 2 hours before bedtime, will result in better sleep.
- Does Digital Detox Negatively Affect Work?
No, practicing digital detox will help you receive ample rest daily, resulting in higher productivity and performance at work.
Share this post
- Tags: Business